Šipan (pronounced [ʃǐpan]) also Sipano (Italian: Giuppana) is the largest of the Elaphiti Islands, 17 km (11 mi) northwest of Dubrovnik, Croatia; separated from the mainland coast by the Koločepski Channel; area 16.22 km2 (6.3 sq mi); The island is 9.1 km (5.7 mi) in length, and up to 2.6 km (1.6 mi) in width. It is the largest island in this group and its highest point is 243 m (797 ft) above sea level. Two limestone crests, the higher (Velji Vrh, 243 m) in the northeast and the lower in the southeast surround a dolomite depression, on which olives, figs, vine, carob-trees, almond-trees, oranges and citrus fruit are cultivated.
The island’s population is 419 (2011). There are two ports on the island, Suđurađ (San Giorgio) in the east, and Šipanska Luka (Porto Gippana) in the west. The island is also famed for its numerous palm tree species that grow on the island.
It was first mentioned by this name in documents of 1371.
In 1426 it became part of the Republic of Ragusa.
source : Wikipedia